Mob: 0408 890 601
Skilled Brass instrumental music educator with qualifications in music performance and music composition. With over 30 years of Professional Classical Musician experience I have developed a diligent and professional approach to performing at the highest level. I have implemented successful teaching and practice regimes to enhance students’ ability to progress whilst imparting a strong enjoyment of performing. My many years as a professional orchestral musician have prepared me with the qualities of organisation, team work, diligence and excellence.
Tertiary qualifications as listed below demonstrate my ability to assess, train students and prepare school reports. High level teaching and tutoring experience at the Tertiary level allows me to be suited to any education based organisation.
My teaching practice experiences at Mark Oliphant College and Brighton Secondary School have helped formulate a flexible teaching approach that is driven by the differentiated needs of students and the classroom environment whilst maintaining a strong focus on successful learning outcomes.
Classroom Music Teacher/Educator
- Classroom Music Teacher, Windsor Gardens Secondary College - teaching Year 8 -11
Section Leader Principal Horn
Adelaide Symphony Orchestra (ASO)
• Successfully won audition to become Sectional (principal) Leader Horn
• Successfully lead French Horn Section
• Professionally managed musician roster for French Horn Section
• International tours with the ASO tour of Asia and USA
• As soloist, performed Mozart, Haydn, Strauss Horn Concerto's and Schumann's Concert-piece for 4 Solo horns and orchestra.
Lecturer in Horn
University of Adelaide
• French Horn lecturer (post graduates and undergraduates)
• Music Supervisor to Post graduates
• French Horn Master Class instructor
• Tutor for Solo Recital
Associate Principle Horn
State Orchestra of Victoria
• Successful audition to become Associate principal Horn
• Produced two Compact Disc recordings with (Wind Octet and Melbourne Wind Power)
• Performed Opera Repertoire (Orchestral)
• Performed Ballet Repertoire (Orchestral)
EDUCATION & TRAINING
2015 Graduate Diploma in Education
University of Adelaide
2014 Certificate IV in Training and Assessment
Trison Business College
2014 Certificate IV in WHS
Tafe, Adelaide City Campus
2005-2009 Masters in Music Composition
University of Adelaide, Elder Conservatorium of Music
1985-1987 Diploma in Music
Australian National University, Canberra School of Music
1982-1984 Certificate of Advanced Music
Adelaide Tafe, School of Music
1981 Completed Year 12 (Matriculation)
Glengowrie high School
Performed a wide range of musical performances and French Horn instructional sessions including:
• Chamber music ensembles; working and participating in a small team environment relating to successful musical outcomes and performance.
• Working in high performance areas relating to live ABC FM recordings and performances in both large and small ensembles. ABC televised recordings both as soloist and orchestral musician.
• High pressure studio environments; recordings for CD's and movie scores.
• Touring and travelling nationally and internationally with small and large ensembles.
• Solo recitals; presenting and performing live recitals.
• Presented University Brass Master-classes; assessment of tertiary brass students.
• Yamaha French-Horn product Artist 2003-2008
• University of Adelaide (Elder Conservatorium) Post-graduate supervisor.
MAJOR PERFORMANCE ENSEMBLES
Professional French Horn Performance details:
1995 – 2012 Section Leader – Principal Horn, Adelaide Symphony Orchestra
1991 – 1994 Associate Principal Horn, Adelaide Symphony Orchestra
1988 – 1990 Associate Principal Horn, Orchestra Victoria
1986 – 2011 Guest Principal Horn:
Tasmanian Symphony Orchestra
Queensland Symphony Orchestra
Melbourne Symphony Orchestra
Sydney Symphony Orchestra
Canberra Symphony Orchestra
Australian Chamber Orchestra
Adelaide Chamber Orchestra
Guest Principal 3rd Horn, Vienna Symphony Orchestra; Mahler Festival, Vienna
French Horn Soloist:
2008 (Soloist) Adelaide Symphony Orchestra; Mozart Horn Concerto No. 3 Eb Major
2008 (Soloist) Elder Conservatorium Lunch hour concert, Mozart Horn Quintet, Philip Hall Horn Quintet
2006 (Soloist) Adelaide Symphony Orchestra; Haydn Concerto for Two Horns Eb Major
2005 (Soloist) Sigfried’s Horn call; West Australian Symphony Orchestra, staged production of Götterdämmerung
2004 (Soloist) West Australian Symphony Orchestra; Schumann Konzertstück for Four Solo Horns
1993 (Soloist) Adelaide Symphony Orchestra; Mozart Horn Concerto No. 2 Eb Major
1988 (Soloist) Sydney Symphony Orchestra; Schumann Schumann Konzertstück for Four Solo Horns
1987 (Soloist) Queensland Symphony Orchestra; Schumann Schumann Konzertstück for Four Solo Horns
1987 (Soloist) Canberra Symphony Orchestra; Schumann Schumann Konzertstück for Four Solo Horns
Chamber Ensemble Experience:
2003 Director/Conductor/performer; Adelaide Horns in Concert
1995 – 1998 Adelaide Wind Ensemble
1991 – 2000 Adelaide Brass Quintet
1987 - 1988 Director/Conductor/performer; Canberra Horn Consort
1988 – 1991 Melbourne Wind Power (Octet)
1986 – 2012 Private Horn tutor
1999 – 2012 Lecturer in Horn, Supervisor to Horn Students (Masters in Horn, performance), Elder Conservatorium of Music, Adelaide University
1998 – 2009 Australian Youth Orchestra Horn & Brass Tutor
2003 – 2006 Adelaide Youth Orchestra Horn & Brass Tutor
1991 – 1994 Lecturer in Horn, TAFE Flinders St School of Music
Past Horn Students of note:
· Andrew Baine (Principal Horn, Los Angeles Philharmonic Orchestra)
· Bryan Griffiths (Section Horn, Adelaide Symphony Orchestra)
· Jacinta Ewers (Operations Manager, Queensland Symphony Orchestra)
· Lauren Manuel (Section Horn, Queensland Symphony Orchestra)
· Kate Sutcliffe (Artist liaison, Adelaide Symphony Orchestra)